From RSS Feeds, I Discovered...

               When going through the RSS Feeds, I had the opportunity to read two articles that helped me to learn a lot about different issues in education. The first article was entitled "Is creative work really worth the time in the classroom?" and essentially performed a cost-benefit analysis on creative work. The article featured a video that focused on creative capacities. It brought up dual coding theory which is a process that occurs during creative work and plays a major role in things like comprehension, memory and instruction. Another thing that struck me about creative work was the fact that it is easily sharable and promotes a dynamic exchange of ideas. When students know that they are going to have an audience, they are more motivated to do well.
               The second article I read was entitled "Teaching the College Essay", and is super relevant to my future career as I will be working with secondary students. This could be a great resource for them. The article provided three things to tell your students who are writing these kinds of essays: 1) the importance of just sitting down and starting to write, 2)the fact that good essays aren't often about complicated topics but rather have a simple focus, and 3) student essays need to focus on the unique qualities of the student writing it (Sztabnik, "Teaching the College Essay", 10/23/17)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In less than 30 minutes, I discovered...

My Professional Learning Network